Data Leak Prevention
What is it?Data leak prevention ensures that sensitive data utilised throughout the organisation is kept and used securely.
Why you need itData can be ?leaked? in a number of ways including via email, file sharing devices and lost and stolen assets such as mobile phones and laptops. Company information getting into the wrong hands can be catastrophic for the business and its reputation.
Compliance rules in different industries can also mean that legal proceedings could be brought against organisations that have a data leak which can result in significant fines.
How it worksData leak prevention solutions require deployment throughout the whole of an organisations infrastructure to be effective and appropriate policies have to be established to ensure that data is handled and stored correctly.
Data protection solutions incorporate some or all of the features below and as such where they are installed and how they operate can be complex. Fundamentally Data protection solutions involve the following:
- Identifies and classifies sensitive and critical data
- Secures files so that they cannot be edited without certain checks being in place
- Monitors all traffic leaving and entering the network
- Regulates the sending of documents outside the company via email
- Offers automatic encryption of data being transferred onto external devices
- Identify any weak areas with real-time policy violation reports